Thursday, August 30, 2012

Moving Along...and Moving?

I've heard many adoptive parents comment that they really dislike the end of the Ch*na adoption process because it seems to drag on and on.  

I have to respectfully disagree with those people.  

I am loving the last couple of weeks.  

After sending off our dossier (a.k.a. gigantic stack of paperwork) at the end of April and then waiting...and waiting...and waiting...until July 30 when we finally got the news that our LOA had arrived at our agency, this update-every-other-week stage has been pretty much awesome.

So, yes, I do have another fun update to share.  We found out last Friday that our stack of Immigration paperwork had been cabled to the U.S. Consulate in Ch*na.  Our agency sent another stack of paperwork to Ch*na on Monday.  When both of those stacks meet up at the Consulate, we officially have Article 5 Drop-Off.  That is supposed to happen today.  (I totally don't understand this part of the process well enough to explain it at all coherently - the name doesn't even make sense to me - but it's another checkmark on our list.  And I <3 checkmarks.)

Want to know the best part?  Forget my giant semi-complicated diagram.  Here's what's left in our adoption process.

1.) Article 5 Pick-Up (which should happen on Thursday, September 13)

2.)  TRAVEL APPROVAL!!!

Yup...that's it.  Two itty bitty hurdles left between us and our sweet boys.  You know, these cuties.

I'm just a little excited.

The only downside to this update is that it looks like it's going to be best for us to wait until November to travel.  I really hate that it's going to be an extra month of waiting, but the reasons for holding off on travel just keep adding up.  I have to keep reminding myself that Saturday is September, which puts us only two months (and a few days) away from getting on a plane.  Thirty-four months into this crazy process, two months should seem like nothing.  Right?

As for the other part of this post (...and Moving?), we decided that our fall wasn't going to be eventful enough.  After all, what's two more toddlers running around our crazy house? :)

So...we made an offer on a house.

We weren't exactly planning on moving, but then I was looking online and found this amazing house for an amazing price.  My husband thinks the work it needs isn't going to be so amazing, but I kinda' love it. 

We'll see what happens. :)

Monday, August 20, 2012

Li'l Miss & Boots

I love this girl.



And her green-and-pink Scottie dog boots.


But mostly the way she wears her green-and-pink Scottie dog boots on the swings. 


So. Totally. my Li'l Miss.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

More Progress!

After a long summer of waiting and not much adoption news, things have started happening!  We found out on Friday afternoon that our I-800 applications to adopt both our boys were approved.  This means that U.S. Immigration has given their okay for us to proceed with our adoption (half of Step 10 on the crazy chart below).  This approval and our file still need to be cabled to the U.S. Consulate in Ch*na.  (Then we'll be on to Step 11.)


It's so exciting to cross one more thing off the list!  Hopefully, we will be finished with Steps 10-14 by the second half of September.  At that point, we'll have TA (Travel Approval) from Ch*na, which basically means we're invited to come get our boys anytime within 90 days.  (It makes me smile just typing that last sentence. :)

On that note, I have a little travel update.  We are considering two possible travel dates: October 11-30 or November 8 - 27.  If our Travel Approval arrives by the week of September 25, either of these should be viable options.  However, as I mentioned last week, travel in October can be tricky because of the Trade Fair (and resulting price increase in hotels, guides, etc.).  My baby brother's wedding is right in between these dates (on November 3), so we can't split the difference and go in the middle.

I have to confess that this part of the process is making me seriously anxious.  I am a freakishly obsessive bit of a planner, and it is so hard not to have dates on the calendar so I can make plans for while we're gone and start looking at flights and hotels.  (Not that I'm not already looking at flights and hotels...)  I know that most adoptive families face this kind of uncertainty, but I'm having a tough time going with the flow right now.

If you feel led to, please pray for peace as we wait on the next few steps to come together.  Also pray for wisdom and provision as we make decisions about travel.  

Thank you, my rockin' bloggy friends.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Wednesday's Waiting Child: Jordy

This little boy melts. my. heart.


Meet "Jordy".  

He's two years old, and he's waiting for his mommy and daddy in an orphanage in Ch*na.  

This little guy snagged my love with his determined spirit.  Jordy has a clubfoot and a leg-length difference, but that does not slow him down at all.   He's agile and strong.  He knows how to crawl and climb, and he's actually taught himself to walk on his knees.

Want to see Jordy in action?  Click here.  (The video is about four minutes long.)

As I watched Jordy on video, I was amazed at how much he's accomplished without surgery, without braces, possibly even without appropriate physical therapy.  A Shriner's Hospital and a loving mommy and daddy could do incredible things for this little man.

Jordy's file says that he is smart and friendly.  He can draw lines, recite poems, identify some shapes, and count to ten.  He is extroverted and "very generous".

Watch this little guy on video.  You can see personality oozing out of him.  (I love the part where he tries to feed a younger child his/her bottle.)

Jordy is on our agency's assigned list for one month.  I believe his month is up very soon (possibly within the week).  If you're interested in more information about Jordy, please let me know ASAP.  You can commit to adopt this little guy even if you have never considered adoption or started any paperwork.  Also, if you are already working with an agency, I am almost positive that my agency would transfer Jordy's file if they don't have a committed family for him.  They've offered to do this in the past, and I truly believe they are committed to the children first.

If you'd like more information on Jordy, please email me at whatitmeans2beheld@gmail.com.  Feel free to share this post or Jordy's information with anyone who might be interested in bringing this sweet boy home.  Thank you!


Sunday, August 12, 2012

Three Lovely Little Letters

A few friends have commented that it's been practically forever a while since I've posted an update on our adoption process.  (Actually, it's been practically forever since I've posted at all.  Sorry!)  I wish that I had some exotic excuse (like I've been hanging out on an island with no Wifi), but the real reason is mostly that I haven't had much to share.  For a L-O-N-G time, we've been waiting...and waiting...and waiting for our Letter of Approval (abbreviated to the three lovely little letters L-O-A) to arrive from Ch*na.  There isn't much to do adoption-wise during the LOA wait, so updates on the process aren't super thrilling.

Well...guess what?  After 74 days of waiting, LOAs for both our boys arrived on July 30!  Of course, we happened to be halfway across the country at a conference when they arrived.  Thankfully, our wonderful agency overnighted them to my parents' house in SoCal (just 1-1/2 hours from the conference), so we were able to get them signed and sent off to U.S. Immigration on August 1.

What does all this mean?  First and foremost, one really L-O-N-G stage of waiting is behind us.  (Can I get a woohoo?)  Second, I've been spending my free time researching hotels in Ch*na.  (How fun is that?)  Third, we are getting really C-L-O-S-E to hopping on a plane to go pick up our boys!

I found the awesome chart below to help explain what we've accomplished and what we have left to do before we travel to bring our li'l guys home.  (I take absolutely no credit for this lovely graphic; some way-cool adoptive mama created it.)
 


At this point, we've finished Steps 1-9.  We're waiting on U.S. Immigration to review our Form I-800 and complete Step 10.


What does all this mean in English?

We have five teeny, tiny steps left in our adoption process!  The last of these steps is for the Ch*nese adoption entity to send our TA (Travel Approval).  Based on other adoptive families' timelines, we should receive our Travel Approval sometime during the second half of September.

There is some bad news.  October is not the greatest month for traveling to Ch*na.  They have a festival the first week, so all government offices are closed.  (No government offices = no adoption appointments/paperwork.)  The last two weeks there is a gigantic trade fair in one of the provinces we have to visit.  This makes travel and hotels much more expensive.  Boo.  On top of that, two of us are in a wedding on November 3.

So...our agency is recommending that we leave the second week of November.  October sounds oh-so-much closer (and I haven't totally given up hope that we'll travel then), but either way, it's so exciting to get a glimpse of the end of this journey (and to spend endless hours on agoda.com).

Even though I haven't had much to say in a while, thanks for asking anyway.  It means a lot to know that people are following along with our journey and praying for us and our boys...who may or may not finally have names. ;-)